Friday, July 17, 2015

Back enjoying a somewhat normal life

The title is a misnomer as writers don't have normal lives. What would be the point? Our ability to observe the unusual brings flavor and interest to our stories. For instance yesterday I was getting my hair cut when I looked out the window and saw a man painting a window frame. Now, you would say, so what? It was raining and he wasn't under a roof. Umm (says me tapping my chin with my index finger) how am I going to use that in a story? Ditto the lady dressed in a bugle bead evening dress wearing stiletto heels walking out of an embassy party in D.C. who falls off the curb? Hmmm? Is she the klutzy heroine of the "other" woman getting her comeuppance?

There is a wealth of such events in daily life, which is why writers carry notebooks. So be on your P&Q's when out and about. You never know who is looking.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

'the more you shall honor Me,
the more I shall bless you'
-the Infant Jesus of Prague