Tuesday, December 2, 2014

'Tis the season

Once again there was a case of gaposis when it came to writing anything in my blog. My bad.

It started with Thanksgiving prep. Small numbers this year. Only four of us for dinner but I swan there was enough food to feed the neighborhood. Why do we do this? Leftover turkey is almost gone and will probably be added to soup.

Had to schedule time to decorate the house but alas it is finished, except for the bedrooms but that's an easy one as it is only a matter of taking out Christmas quilts and throw pillows.

This year the white and silver tree (christened "Steve" by my daughters--don't ask) brought back many memories. The main decoration on this tree are the handmade, crocheted ornaments. My very favorite are the Angels made by my late mother-in-law. Add to these the snow flakes made by my dear late friend and fellow writer, Gwyn. They spawn fond memories of Christmas Past.

The family room tree (christened "Gertrude" by the same two women) is chock-a-block with memories as well. There are the Irish Christmas balls, a gift from my son-in-law, the hand crafted jeweled balls made by Ruth, who passed away several years ago but is not forgotten. The tree is topped by an angel that I bought the first year we were married. We lose her every year and I have to call on St. Anthony to find her and we do...in a box marked "Christmas Angel".

The Nativity set is in the living room set up on my grandmother's library table. The family story is my grandfather won it for 50 cents in a church raffle and the church wanted it back. So glad he didn't give it to them.

The lovely ceramic village, a creation of my sister-in-law is displayed in the entry way .

So even if the extended family is not her this Christmas their spirit will be.

May you and yours enjoy a Blessed Holiday Season.

No comments: