Monday, July 20, 2009

Random Act of Kindness in Gettysburg

As Gwyn and I continued our trek this summer we managed to spend some time in Gettysburg. As with many northern states we visited we had a lot of rain. I mean a lot of rain.

Anyway back to Gettysburg. We decided to have dinner at the Dobbin's House. It is a fabulous place, great service and delicious food. It was not raining when we walked there from our motel. However, the heavens opened up as we were leaving. Of course we each left our umbrellas in the van. I dashed over to gift shop to see if they had an umbrella for sale. Actually, they did, but not for sale...for ransome! I mean $20. The clerk was kind and gave us each a plastic bag.

That worked for part of the way back, like a block. We made it to Gettysburg Eddie's, another restaurant, and we were standing in the doorway waiting for the deluge to abate when a young man came out and saw our predicament. I have been referring to him as Vern Yip because that's who he resembled. Anyway, he said he was going to run to his car and get us an umbrella, which he did. When I asked him how I could get it back to him he said there was no need, he was glad to help.

Before we could say thank you again, he was gone. God bless him.

No comments: