Saturday, May 16, 2015

File Cabinets--the good, the bad and the ugly

Have a dry spell where I don't have to be on deadline so I decided to do some tidying of files. I have two, the one four drawer in the garage and the two drawer in my office. In order to do this I set the stove timer so I have to get up and move around...break the monotony of feeding pieces of paper into the shredder. To date I have filled three garbage bags.

My question to myself is why did I keep all this paper. Would I have kept it if it hadn't been convenient to just stick it in the file cabinet? Why did I need canceled checks from 1989? Thank goodness we don't get those any more. Next, why did I keep old utility bills? Twenty year old insurance statements? Credit card statements? Receipts for medical bills?

Granted it was a walk down memory lane to glimpse names of companies that are no longer in business or have been bought out or merged with other firms. When it came to checks to grocery stores (yes, that's what we used before debit cards) I felt a tear form in my eye but know those prices are gone forever.

So there I sat getting rid of clues to my past, and that was only the top drawer of the cabinet. I'm almost afraid to look at the others. Then again I might discover something earth shattering. We'll see as I have five more drawers to go.

No comments: